Mountain Rose Herbs
Since 1987 Mountain Rose Herbs has been known for its uncompromising commitment to organic agriculture, and currently offers one of the nation’s largest selections of organic and fair trade herbs, spices, teas, and other herbal products. Since their inception they have always put an emphasis on conducting business in an ethical, responsible, clear, and ecological way; hoping to pave a medium for other blossoming green companies.
Mountain Rose Herbs is proud to have made strident steps in lessening its energy consumption and we have done this implementing numerous practices which include.
- A complete lighting upgrade in our principal facilities to thin diameter, low impact, fluorescent cylinders which draw far less power than traditional fluorescent tubes and incandescent bulbs.
- Our building was constructed to LEED standards which harnesses over 80% natural light. This has provided us with the opportunity to NOT require any lighting in our customer service and administrative departments, as well as our production departments. The benefit of harnessing natural light has lessened our electrical usage load for general illumination by over 40 percent!
- Our company switched our cargo and delivery vehicles to run on used vegetable oil based Bio-Diesel.
- A company wide upgrade to LED flat screen monitors instead of traditional CRT monitors which use about 65% more energy and generate nearly 5 times as much heat.
- Newly installed E-Star rated central heat and cooling units which are maintained and serviced quarterly for optimal performance and efficiency. These units are highly energy efficient and are E-Star rated.
- All computer purchases have been converted to EPEAT certified models which have been Gold Star rated for their environmental attributes including energy conservation, the amount and type of packaging used to ship and house the computer, and the refusal to use harmful materials in the construction of the computers.
- All of the appliances, electronics, and other small to medium sized electrical components that we purchase are always E-Star rated.
- We converted our entire electrical usage load to the EWEB Greenpower program which guarantees that a significant portion of our electicity comes from wind and solar sources.
- All of the company vehicles and trucks owned and used by Mountain Rose Herbs are fueled by locally produced vegetable based bio-diesel.
“If we are to move past coal and look forward to a greener future that is full of alternative energy, then we must support the endeavors of Carbonfund.org, who are creating the infrastructure necessary to make it happen.” – Shawn Donnille, Vice President