Growing up, we heard our parents say this to us as they tucked us into bed at night. Bed bugs were as mythical as the monster under our beds. Actually, bed bugs are real–these parasitic insects bite and in extreme cases, can cause anaphylactic shock. According to a recent article in The New York Times, “Treatment, including dismantling furniture and ripping up rugs, is expensive. Rather than actively hunting for bugs, hotels and landlords often deny having them.” So what CAN you do to protect yourself? Carbonfund.org partner, GBS Enterprises offers affordable mattress protectors in a variety of sizes. If you’re sleeping away from home–whether in a college dorm, at sleepaway camp, or in a hotel–GBS mattress protectors will protect you from potential bed bugs, allergens, dust mites and incontinence that may be lingering on the mattresses. GBS mattress protectors are also CarbonFree® Certified. 5 scary bed bug facts:
- Bed bugs are small wingless insects that feed only on the blood of warm-blooded animals. They are also known to feed on bats or household pets.
- Bed bugs are 6-10 mm in length and take on the appearance of an apple seed. Immature ones appear colorless. Bed bugs develop a reddish brown color and become easier to see after they feed.
- Bed bugs are not known to spread disease, but getting rid of them from a home is tough.
- The tiny insects avoid light and attack in the middle of the night. They hide behind headboards, light switch covers, or in mattress seams during the day.
- Because an adult bed bug can survive for months without a blood meal, bed bug infestations sometimes require multiple exterminations.