The growing cost of commuting — in both time and money — is making working from home more and more attractive. At the same time, technological advances are making it easier than ever to work from a home office. There are a lot of advantages to working at home but, before you set your home office up, there are a number of important factors to consider.
The first thing you’ll need to think about is finding a space in your home to put your office that is 1) private , so that family members are not constantly interrupting you, and 2) accessible, if you plan to have clients or customers visit you in your office. The den or a spare bedroom, for example, are obvious choices but what if you don’t have a space like this? Here are a few other options to consider that may not have occurred to you:
- Basement: If you have a basement, this may be where you’ll find the most available space.
- Attic: An attic can be a large, quiet space–and also bright and cheerful, if you install skylights or roof windows.
- Attached Garage: A garage will have easy and private access. It has quite a bit of room and can be finished off fairly easily. The big space left by the overhead door is a wonderful opportunity to design in some nice windows and/or door into your office.
- Hallway: Hallways with niches or extra space are opportunities for small office spaces.
- Closets: Closets are usually in short supply, so taking one over for an office space may not be a popular idea in your household. But possibly the closet contents can be moved to a basement area, attic area or someplace that is good enough for storage but not good enough for office space.
- Sharing Space: A wall or two in the kitchen, living room, a bedroom or some other room may work for you. Possibly some office functions can be in one space and others in a second or third space (try setting up your computer in the bedroom and link to the printer in the kitchen).
The next thing you’ll need to think about is your office furniture and supplies. Most importantly, your desk. Be sure it’s big enough to accommodate your needs – one thing you’ll find is that no matter how much work space you have, you could always use more! As for office equipment, in addition to quality, why not consider other attributes like good looks and eco friendliness? For example, the GoECOlife shredders are not only highly reviewed in terms of quality and quietness, they are also eco friendly:
- Certified CarbonFree: To meet the rigorous standards of the CarbonFree Product Certification Program, GoECOlife™ assessed the carbon footprint of this product throughout its lifecycle and offset the carbon footprint of the product through investments in renewable energy and reforestation.
- Energy Saving: GoECO Energy-Saving Technology prevents phantom power loss, so you use less energy and save money!
- Meets RoHS standards that restrict the use of hazardous substances such as lead, mercury and other heavy metals.
- Responsibly packaged.
Last but not least, they’re beautiful! Learn more about the GoECOLife shredders on an upcoming episode of “World’s Greatest”, airing on the ION network January 21, 6:30AM ET. 9:30AM PT.