The Russas and Valparaiso Projects involve numerous local and international partners that will collectively protect more than 170,000 acres in the Amazon Rainforest – the world’s largest rainforest – from slash-and-burn forest clearing and prevent millions of tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions.
The Russas and Valparaiso Projects were successfully validated to the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) and the Climate, Community & Biodiversity Standards (CCBS) with Gold Distinction for exceptional community benefits in March and July 2014. The Projects’ first verification was successfully achieved in December 2014, the Projects’ second verification was successfully achieved in November 2017, and the Projects’ third verification was successfully achieved in May 2019. Both Projects are now being reviewed for their fourth verification to the VCS and CCBS to assess the Projects’ performance from January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2020. The Public Comment Period for the Russas Project runs from October 13th to November 13th , 2021. The Public Comment Period for the Valparaiso Project runs from October 14th to November 14th , 2021.
To review their complete Project Documents and submit comments, please visit:
The Russas and Valparaiso Projects are Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and forest Degradation (REDD+) projects that mitigate deforestation, preserve extraordinary biodiversity, and provide alternative economic opportunities to local communities. Since March 2011, the Projects have:
- Reduced deforestation in the Project Areas
- Offered agricultural extension courses to hundreds of local community members
- Undertook biodiversity studies utilizing motion-sensitive wildlife cameras
- Distributed dozens of mosquito nets
- Provided medical attention to thousands of community members and renovated the onsite health clinic clinics
- Provided assistance to the municipality with the installation of water pumps and wells for the schools
- Installed community bathrooms
- Reformed the local schools near the Projects’ headquarters
The Russas and Valparaiso Projects will also provide a variety of essential ecosystem services such as: erosion and flood control; water cycling, filtration and storage; oxygen production and nutrient recycling; genetic repository for medicinal plants; and habitat for thousands of native Amazonian animal (including scarlet macaws and Amazon River dolphins) and plant species.
Thank you for your ongoing support!