Various locations throughout US states
American Carbon Registry
Ruby Canyon Engineering
- Mitigate climate change
- Reduce localized air and noise pollution
- Reduce fuel usage and the environmental harm caused by fossil fuel extraction
- Development of new technologies and additional jobs created
- Better resting conditions for drivers
- Provide alternative to idling in parking lots or road shoulders
Carbonfund.org (Carbonfund) supports the Truck Stop Electrification Project which reduces tailpipe emissions from freight trucks that transport our consumer goods all across the country. Long-haul truck drivers idle their trucks to heat or cool their cab and to power on-board appliances during the federally mandated rest period. Engine idling creates poor resting conditions for the driver and fosters unhealthy conditions since a large number of trucks idle in close proximity. Idling also consumes fuel while moving no product, reduces engine life, and requires more frequent engine maintenance.
With this project, drivers can shut off their engines and utilize the advanced truck stop electrification technology. This system consists of an in-cab service module connected via a flexible hose to an efficient external unit that heats, cools, and powers the interior of the truck, and lets the driver run the radio and check email without forcing the engine to burn diesel while saving about a gallon of diesel per hour.