At Alaska Airlines, we care about the environment and are finding innovative ways to reduce the environmental impact of our services by reducing emissions and waste from our operations.
Alaska Airlines has been ranked by the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) as the most fuel efficient carrier in the United States for 7 years in a row. Alaska burns 12-13% less fuel (and emits 12-13% less CO2) than the average US carrier. These efficiencies are realized by:
- Modern fleet: The Boeing 737-900 and Airbus 321neo are the most efficient aircraft in their class.
- Aerodynamic improvements, such as split scimitar winglets, which reduce fuel burn by an additional 3-5%.
- Operational innovations, such as using RNP technology for shorter (and safer) routing between destinations.
Additionally, Alaska Airlines, and sister carrier Horizon Air, have the most comprehensive inflight recycling programs of any U.S. airline. We recycle cups, bottles, paper, cans, and plastic on every single domestic flight. Even the coffee grounds are composted.
You can help! Please consider reducing your travel footprint by:
- Packing light
- Bringing a reusable water bottle (and filling it after security)
- Using a mobile boarding pass instead of paper
- Offsetting your travel
As part of this collective effort of reducing our environmental footprint on every flight, Alaska Airlines would like to invite you to help offset your travel by contributing to top quality verified carbon offset projects carefully selected by our team with our nonprofit partner Carbonfund.org Foundation.
Just What Is An Offset?
Even though Alaska Airline’s fleet is already among the most carbon-efficient in the industry, air travel still affects our environment. By purchasing a carbon offset, you can help reduce the environmental impact of your flight’s carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by investing in third-party validated projects to reduce CO2 elsewhere in the U.S.
For more information on Alaska Airlines sustainability programs please visit: https://www.alaskaair.com/sustainability
Air Travel Calculator