Location: North Central Idaho
Project type: Reforestation Project
Standard: Chicago Climate Exchange
Verification/Validation: Bureau Veritas Certification, Forecon, Inc.
- Mitigates climate change
- Restores watershed protection for Chinook Salmon and Steelhead Trout
- Reduces soil erosion and use of pesticides
- Restores wildlife habitat
- Improved area for recreational activities
- Forestry employment opportunities for local Nez Perce Tribe
This project replants Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Fir on lands which were originally cleared for agriculture or destroyed by forest fire. These lands do not naturally regenerate and require funds to replant trees using locally sourced seeds, control vegetation, and provide protection for newly planted seedlings.
Reforestation is beneficial not only for the local Nez Perce community and the variety of ecosystem services that tree planting provides, but also to sequester significant amounts of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Since the project’s inception, an estimated 20,000 tonnes of CO2 have been sequestered from 2,205 acres of the Nez Perce Project.