How do you spend your donations?
We keep our overhead costs exceptionally low, so more of your dollar goes to what matters. In fact, 95% of every dollar donated to Carbonfund.org supports carbon offset and tree-planting projects, development of new carbon offset projects such as our projects in Brazil, renewable energy credit purchases, water restoration project support, our Carbonfree® Products Certification Program, and the programs designed to sustain and expand our project portfolio, our mission to increase awareness about the causes and solutions to climate change, and environmental education, awareness and appreciation through our summer camp. As a nonprofit organization, we provide financial transparency and your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
I have more questions about carbon offsets or climate change. Whom should I contact?
If you have a question, please get in touch using our contact page.
Does Carbonfund.org have an Annual Report I can review?
Yes! Click here to download a PDF copy of Carbonfund.org’s 2017 Annual Report.
How do you ensure the CO2 you offset represent real carbon emission reductions?
The hallmarks of quality carbon offsets are third-party certification standards, verification and auditing. All Carbonfund.org offset projects are verified by a third party to the highest certification standards. This sort of review, coupled with an annual third-party audit of our finances and portfolio, ensure that our donors are supporting only high-quality carbon offset projects making real carbon emission reductions.
The third-party verification of our projects also ensures that the emission reductions are additional to what would otherwise have occurred, surplus (i.e. not already mandated or required), and are permanent reductions.
Can I offset my carbon footprint if I live outside the US?
Absolutely. There is much to do to reduce the threat of climate change. We already receive donations from around the globe, and encourage more. Our donation page accepts credit cards from most countries.
How do you retire carbon?
Simply put, we retire carbon by not using it. When we purchase carbon offsets or support a carbon reduction project we gain the right to the emission reductions. Many groups buy these rights and then use them to pollute or sell them. We buy the carbon reductions and retire them, meaning that they are taken out of circulation forever.
How is my carbon footprint calculated if I want to go ZeroCarbon™?
The U.S. DOE’s Energy Information Agency estimates that personal carbon emissions represent about 40% of overall U.S. emissions. The other 60% are from the commercial, industrial and non-residential transportation sectors. While every person’s actual carbon emissions vary depending on energy use, energy type and consumption patterns, we’ve set our ZeroCarbon™ at 2.5 times the personal amount to better reflect the likely averages. In order to qualify for ZeroCarbon™ supporters must support a minimum of 18 tonnes of CO2.
Do you support carbon-reducing projects in the US?
Yes. We support carbon reducing projects from trusted sources anywhere in the world.
How does reducing carbon in Brazil, for instance, reduce the effects of climate change in the US?
Unlike other pollutants, carbon dioxide does not affect the local area where it is emitted. Rather, CO2 impacts the entire earth, regardless of where it is emitted. Carbon dioxide emitted in the U.S. will impact Brazil as much as it does the U.S. A reduction in Brazil or elsewhere will reduce the effects of climate change everywhere. Reducing a tonne of CO2 in Brazil, then, has the same benefit as reducing a tonne here in the U.S. So does reducing a tonne of CO2 through wind, solar, energy efficiency or biomass. A tonne is a tonne is a tonne.
How can I reduce my carbon footprint, rather than offset it?
Reducing your energy usage is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and, depending on the measure, may be cost effective vs. offsetting your carbon externally. However, it is virtually impossible to reduce your carbon footprint to zero by yourself. Carbonfund.org offers tips to reduce carbon emissions at the bottom of each offset category page, and can help you reduce whatever remains of your footprint.
How long will it be before I receive my certificate?
When making a donation online, you will have the option to request and to customize the name field of an e-certificate. You should receive your certificate within a few seconds after making your donation. If you don’t receive it, please contact us.
I don’t like to make contributions over the Internet. Can I send a check?
Yes. Send a check made payable to the Carbonfund.org Foundation to:
853 Main Street
East Aurora, NY 14052
Does Carbonfund.org have financial information I can review?
Yes! Click here to go to the About Us page where you will find Carbonfund.org’s financial information.