Carbonfund.org Foundation’s wholly-owned subsidiary CarbonCo offers carbon consulting services. CarbonCo provided the upfront financing and technical expertise and now assists with the implementation of four Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and forest Degradation (REDD+) projects in Brazil. These projects are known as the Russas, Valparaiso, Purus, and Envira Amazonia Projects.
CarbonCo is able to share its expertise and offers a range of carbon consulting services such as conducting a detailed feasibility assessment to help:
- Determine what standards, such as the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) and the Climate, Community & Biodiversity Standard (CCBS), and which methodologies would be most applicable to a given project;
- Review legal and policy developments in the host country along with potential linkages to the voluntary carbon market and emerging compliance markets such as California, CORSIA (Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation), and/or the Paris Agreement;
- Conduct a comprehensive risk assessment (e.g., political, economic, informational, project, etc.) on the proposed project and host country;
- Assess technical aspects of the project such as potential deforestation baselines, leakage, permanence, forest carbon stocks, and additionality;
- Conduct an overview of relevant host country stakeholders and potential project partners; and
- Develop preliminary financial numbers, contract and/or detailed timeline of the proposed project.
If the project seems feasible, CarbonCo could offer to:
- Manage or help manage the project according to budget, timeline and contract;
- Write or co-write the Project Documents for validation including measuring forest carbon stocks, developing forest growth curves or deforestation models, and addressing all technical aspects such as permanence and additionality;
- Develop biodiversity and community impact monitoring plans;
- Qualify any needed contractors and an approved validation and verification body (i.e., auditor);
- Secure satellite imagery, remote sensing and/or aerial photography;
- Address any Corrective Action Requests (CARs) raised by the audit team;
- Advise on the registration, verification, and issuance of verified emission reductions (VERs);
- Manage registry process (i.e., evaluate and negotiate contracts for best registry scenario);
- Commercialization assistance, such as outreach, negotiate, and contract sales for project’s VERs;
- Equity assistance, including outreach and possibly contract a diverse range of funds with interest in equity funding of a project portfolio, thus bringing in additional funds to the project.
Additional carbon consulting services offered include:
- Assessment of market trends, including price movements, supply and demand dynamics, etc.;
- Advising on incorporating (i.e., nesting) projects into jurisdictional frameworks; and
- Drafting Verified Emission Reduction Purchase Agreements (VERPAs).
To learn more, please visit Carbonfund.org Foundation.