JetBlue Airways Receives Carbonfund.org 2016 For Planet and People Award
Wednesday, 29 June 2016
Since 2008, JetBlue and the dedicated crew has offset the emissions of crew travel, reducing over 1.5 billion pounds of carbon dioxide emissions. This is a huge accomplishment for any company. JetBlue has also made it simple for their customers to offset their flight emissions.
Just one of many highlights of their program is that in 2015, JetBlue offset every flight, passenger and crew, during Earth Month. This in itself is a remarkable accomplishment.
JetBlue is helping to preserve nearly 500,000 acres of Brazilian Rainforest. Often called the Lungs of the Planet, the project is preserving land as well as rare and highly endangered eco systems, over 30,000 types of plants, and wild life, including howler monkeys, fresh water dolphins and scarlet macaws. The projects are helping the local people as well, helping make forest preservation economically viable. This year JetBlue is also planting over 18,000 trees in the Angeles National Forest in California.
The JetBlue Sustainability Program goes beyond climate change. A few other highlights of their work include:
- Recycling programs both Inflight and at Airports
- Composting programs at several airports
- Crewmembers have participated in crop cultivation at your Terminal 5 farm.
- Many of the coastal and international cities participate in beach/ocean cleanup initiatives.
- Crewmembers across BlueCities participate in annual One Thing That’s Green campaign by serving neighborhoods throughout the country from Seattle to Boston, New York to Long Beach, California. With the help of their customers, crewmembers plant trees, cleanup beaches, beautify parks and plant flowers. These events continue to help JetBlue inspire humanity in the cities you serve.
Carbonfund.org congratulates JetBlue for reaching the major milestone of exceeding 1.5 billion pounds of CO2 emission reductions and we are proud to partner with them in these efforts.